64bit OS

Azrael Strife

That's why I'm asking if it's that switch? It's not a workaround that will allow windows to access more physical memory, it just divides the virtual memory between user and kernel nothing more. Unless using it for an application that can use that ammount of memory, it is a cause of more trouble more than a solution to anything.

Ah crap. Thanks, Kret. I really wanted someone more knowledgeable to look at it as I didn't understand it... I thought it was supposed to let you use more than 3GB RAM with 32bit system.

A 32-bit processor is capable of addressing 2^32 bytes = 4^30 bytes = 4GB of RAM, the 3GB instead of 4GB limit is due to how the OS handles it ;)

A 64-bit processor is capable of 2^64 = 16^60 bytes = 16 Exbibytes of RAM, virtually unlimited bar from Motherboard capabilities :)

The 4GB limit is not only limited by the OS, but the motherboard must allow accessing addresses above that limit. Todays motherboards already do this, but some older ones have no possibility in doing so by design. Note that the 4Gb limit is not a memory size limit but an addressing limit and since virtually everything in the machine requires some addressing it reduces the ammount of addressing available to access system memory.

• 1 year later...

Been reading this thread again... SotS][ is coming and I will definitely not be able to buy a new comp. I wouldn't have a place for it yet anyway.

My laptop does offer a RAM upgrade form 4 to 8 GB and with 32bit system that would be a waste of money, so I'm considering a Win7Pro 64 bit system again...

If you count out older games, is there any other problem? Will my 32bit Office work on a 64 bit system?

I've got a 32office running on a 64win7 without any issues.

Also, re older games: I realize you may not be meaning THIS old, but I'm running Master of Orion II(Dos-version) from Dosbox in my 64-bit win7 home premium. :laugh:

I personally would dual boot with XP Pro, and Windows 7 ultimate, both 64-bit. And they are both NTFS based. If you really want a better 64-bit experience, try some of the Linux distributions that are out there. Stay away from Ubuntu, as it's getting to commercialized, IMO.

The reason I say Ultimate with Windows 7, is that you can do a lot of things in there that's not readily available for home premium. Compatibility mode is one feature, and there are more.

I personally would dual boot with XP Pro, and Windows 7 ultimate, both 64-bit. And they are both NTFS based. If you really want a better 64-bit experience, try some of the Linux distributions that are out there. Stay away from Ubuntu, as it's getting to commercialized, IMO.

Strongly disagree, if anyone is considering trying out Linux, Ubuntu is by far the best choice, it's so far the only distro doing the best to be accessible to all users.

32 bit Office should work ok with 64 bit 7, it does for me at least (though, unfortunately, Half Life 2 and Mass Effect 1 stopped running...)

Azrael, I will agree with about Ubuntu being a decent distro, but it is not the best. Because it's popular doesn't make it the best. I prefer either Red Hat, Backtrax, or a couple others.

And Sunflash, how did you get compatibility mode? I've been trying for a while to figure it out myself. And did you find out how to access, also, gpedit.msc? That is one of the best programs for Windows.

Home Premium doesn't have XP mode (as in, the ability to run Windows XP within your 7 install), but it does have some other compatibility features.

Edit: Though now I check that page, it seems it WILL allow such an install - interesting! I'm gonna have to give that a try tonight, getting access to XP functionality on my laptop would make my week!

Of course, if it lacks access to the main filesystem I'll be much less impressed, but hey, still worth something...

I believe it's possible to install GPEdit into Home Premium using unofficial non-Microsoft tweaks, but you'll still lack access to many of the features it'd allow you to mess with in the more expensive releases. Eg, the option to disable thumbnail generation specifically when accessing network shares, a feature that's rather broken in 7...

Bah, don't get me started... :laugh:

I was not aware of this 'XP mode'. By 'compatibility mode' I meant the whole 'right-click->compatibility->run as etc' thing. Which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Then again, I've not found one of my XP games that doesn't work on 7...yet. :laugh:

Azrael, I will agree with about Ubuntu being a decent distro, but it is not the best. Because it's popular doesn't make it the best. I prefer either Red Hat, Backtrax, or a couple others.

A distro that is not user friendly, IMO, can not be the best. User friendliness is a vital OS external quality; unless we're talking about a mainframe OS, which we are not in this case.

Just my opinion anyway, I didn't want anyone not trying Ubuntu if they wanted to try Linux, I feel it's simply the only distro for a beginner, and also for advanced users.

I am just a tad ticked off. That page asks what edition of Windows you're running, happily reveals all the download links once you tell it "Home Premium" (over half a gig worth of data I might add), then once you've installed it all and reconfigured your system BIOS (as per an error message written in Engrish I might add), then, and only then, does it decide to mention those bigass downloads require a payed upgrade before you can actually use them.

Or not. But seriously, it amazes me how 7 continues to find new ways to piss me off. Anyway, in the end I was able to get Dungeon Keeper running (with slight screen tearing - the VM kinda feels like remote desktop for some reason), but it entirely failed to deal with the low resolution used by the game and the mouse tends to jump randomly around the screen for who knows what reason. Meh.

No, because driver support for XP long since went out the window. I wouldn't even bother dual-booting if I thought it an option - I'd just wipe 7 off completely.

Luckily I have more then one computer and the older model is still fully compatible. I've taken to using Team Viewer across my LAN recently.

• 3 weeks later...
64bit > 32bit - period - bigger, better, faster, more secure.

And come on - with Win7 - XP is just silly to have.

The answers to both those points are "unless you care about compatibility and don't want to purchase new crap for the sake of having new crap".

And, as I've gone on and on about, functionality. When the bugs are finally ironed out of 7, and the missing features put back in, maybe I'll have a bit more respect for it.

I'll admit I didn't think much of XP when it came out, but by SP2 I was quite happy with it. Thing is, whenever any complaints get levelled at the 7 interface, MS just says "it's by design" and that's that. When I think "upgrade", I think of something that does more, not less. 7 adds hardware support, increases the font size, and does little else.