UFO/EU Multiplayer AAR Discussion

NKF

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That patch I put up should be fine as I was literally getting slaughtered in the practice runs with that save at the floater terror site. It's not the weapons, the aliens are just aggressive. Even the reapers were not the jokes many make them out to be. Despite the TFTD experience I almost feel like I'm out of practice! :laugh:

- NKF

And I don't know how to use the forum upload either so feel free to tell me how BB :laugh:

Enter full-edit mode using the "add reply" button (as opposed to "fast reply"). If you've started typing into fast reply by accident, hit "more options" to switch.

Underneath the posting box is the attachments panel. Use the browse button to select a file, then hit upload.

Once this is done you can embed the result into your post using the "manage current attachments" dropdown box above said button. Let it load the icons once you've opened it, you'll see a bit of paper with a red button on it (which deletes the attachment), and one with a green button on it (which sticks BBcode linking to that item straight into your post).

Any items which you do not manually embed will be automatically appended to the end of your post when you submit it. Images are automatically thumbnailed.

Deliberately blew up the first UFO (more points) but the second one was a bit too far off the coast for me to notice it was over the sea. Not too much of a problem since the third one was the same type of ship. There's a rash of tiny ships at the moment.

Overall the mission felt a bit easy. But it was a medium scout with most of its crew dead from the crash, and the two sectoids the team met outside were in rather awkward positions to begin with.

Just noticed a blunder I made after I saved the game for the next commander. The new chokepoint I installed that's going to be ready soon is attached directly to the large radar. Memory tells me there's a central block in the middle of that facility that'll break the clear corridor into the hangar. Various fixes for this, but nothing that'll be ready quickly.

- NKF

I suspect my attempt to tweak the game difficulty back to Superhuman was a failure, as you only raked in four corpses - I'm fairly sure the medium scout should provide more? In any case, it appears the save game you posted is also set to Beginner, assuming my understanding of how that gets saved is correct... Did you end up playing the save Vet posted to rapidshare, or the one I embedded into his post?

I got the one you embedded.

Note that the recovered corpses were four - at least two of the three I encountered were completely vapourised by grenades. So about 6 aliens from that ship.

- NKF

Even so, the relevant looking offset is set to 0 again. I decided to test the save games in XCU to make sure I'm not way off base, and indeed, it reports the save game I put in Vet's post to be Superhuman, and the one you just posted to be Beginner. Something's up.

Strange - I know I overwrote the old game with the files from the .rar since it involved using 7zip to unpack them. Only explanation is that I might've unpacked it to a different copy of the game, but a quick look doesn't bring anything up. Maybe it was in TFTD?

Either way I think I'll go do a very quick check to see if my copy is still got the difficulty bug - but if it did revert to beginner it would've happened after the mission, not before. And the iglob.dat file is still 64 bytes, not 60.

- NKF

Whoa, redid that entire mission in a minute or 2 with 2 losses and Adam taking 3 of the 5 kills with just laser pistol and a proximity mine. Would've made a terribly boring story...

6 bodies recovered from that one too so nearly the same numbers. However the save I made after that had the iglob difficulty level entry saved as 4. The original save I posted still had it set to 0.

edit:

Tried to see if it was a result of a battlescape save, and that's not it. Also more searching for where I unpacked the files and I'm still left baffled.

- NKF

My turn already ? If I hadn't finished my first run in Dragon Age 2 I would probably miss it :laugh:

I've looked at the diffchange I guess it is my fault. The steam version isn't 1.4, I searched readmes and I guess it is 1.2.

I think I'll need to use XComutil to fix this.

Although steam version has windows version of Xcom, I seem to can't run it. I get intro music but no video and then the game hangs.

Edit:

I updated the xcoumutill patch and nothing more though I was thinking of including the trio patch (the one that BB took part in about zombies and other stuff).

That's unusual because the Steam version should contain 1.4 executables for both editions, since the Windows portion that's included along side it is 1.4. I mean, the sound files for 1.2 aren't compatible with 1.4, so it would be difficult to do a hybrid 1.2dos/1.4CE copy.

Either way, you can just install the update patches over your copy to update the dos executables to 1.4, and then grab the patched geoscape.exe I posted in the first post to fix the difficulty bug. If you're still uncertain, use the fix that Bomb Bloke's supplied in tandem with it.

edit:

Also good luck on the terror site. It's amazing how much difficulty the darkness adds to a terror mission.

- NKF

No official patches for the DOS version fix the difficulty bug, hence the specially patched executable NKF posted the start of the thread.

No shame in bailing if things are too hot to handle; those Cyberdiscs would be tough enough without worrying about psi. We'll make up the score later anyways.

Oh must have not noticed that part.

Well the mission was a 'Terrible' success. Though I wonder if the game isn't screwed even with the difficult change. Got only 1 cyberdisc. And I checked after mission and it is Superhuman

Oh and the alien granade was reaserched so I started motion scanner.

We've been doing well with the little easy missions so far. A small setback in points isn't much to worry about. Looks like you got us a nice amount of loot as well so it was a good effort overall.

That was actually quite a quick cycle. The Veteran next and back to me. Guess it was the weekend, but could almost do with a couple more players.

- NKF

I'm at a funeral today so will be this evening at the earliest or maybe tomorrow. Either way I don't think anyone will mind a short break as it has come round incredibly fast!!! Seeing as I have some time between now and then, will the .exe you linked at the start of this thread fix my big-box cd version of UFO on the 98 lappy? Would save me forgetting or doing it wrong :)