UFO/EU Multiplayer AAR Discussion

NKF

As the title says, just a proposal for a mutliplayer AAR like the one being run in the TFTD forum at present. Mainly to pickle some brains to refine the idea and see if there would be any interest.

The idea's to have one that's roughly the same conditions, but with a twist. After TFTD, UFO may seem like a walk in the park, so I thought it could use a limited weapon scenario for fun and to see how far we can take the ball and run with it.

Those who've known me for a while will probably have already anticipated what I've been thinking about with the weapon scenarios. Here are some suggestions. We decide on one and go with it.

- Rocket Launcher only.

- Heavy/Auto Cannons only.

- Play as normal until Heavy Laser available, then use (unmodified) Heavy Laser exclusively.

- Thrown explosives. Period.

- The NKF Special: Pistol sized weapons and thrown explosives.

All scenarios follow these common rules:

- For scenarios without lasers: If ammo is depleted and cannot be scavenged, force an evacuation.

- Captures must be attempted with these weapons, or stun rods for Heavy Laser scenario.

- Tanks acceptable only if it has a matching weapon.

Only problem with most of these except for the heavy laser campaign are the Sectopods. Most of these weapons don't have a fighting chance against them. Perhaps limited use of stun bombs vs. them only?

Some of the heavy weapon scenarios may seem like it would make combat too easy, but there are a number of management (especially collateral) issues involved with them that add to the difficulty.

Again, this is only a proposal to see if there would be interest.

---

Revised rules:

- V1.4 with no mods

- Superhuman

- Ironman

- Limited Psi Amp (particulars pending)

- If ammo exhausted and cannot be scavenged, enforce evacuation

- Weapon theme (pending as per current discussions)

For those using the Dos version, there will be the difficulty bug to contend with. To fix it, first make sure you've upgraded to v1.4 if you haven't already. Use a separate copy of the game if you would like to keep the older version.

Then unzip the following and place the geoscape.exe file into the UFOEXE directory. Either back up the old copy first or just replace the old one.

GEOSCAPE.zip

I have already scanned it for viruses, but please double-check on your end.

- NKF

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking it could part of the challenge to try and see if you can capture the alien without a stun rod by careful use of explosives and/or light weapons. I mentioned the stun rod for the heavy laser option because it's simply not practical. But no I wasn't thinking of restricting its use. Just the direct-damage weapons.

Psi ... what does everyone want? I'd say no psi or limit it to 1 psi-amp like the TFTD campaign. Maybe we could even use psi to let Sectopod kill themselves?

No weapons mods. XComutil's enhanced high explosive is literally a low-cost blaster bomb.

- NKF

My personal opinion would be that limited weapon sets are going to be more of a personal preference than a group solution. For me, it completely removes any believable realism from the game. Earth is under attack by aliens, we could all be enslaved by a superior race and face the end of life as we know it...

How about we only use grenades Sarge! :oh:

I think the fact that the funding nations, X-Com and not least the soldiers themselves would see any of the above options as suicide is enough of a reason for me to opt out of this kind of playthrough sadly, though of course I'd still be reading it :laugh:

My personal opinion would be that limited weapon sets are going to be more of a personal preference than a group solution. For me, it completely removes any believable realism from the game. Earth is under attack by aliens, we could all be enslaved by a superior race and face the end of life as we know it...

How about we only use grenades Sarge! :oh:

I think the fact that the funding nations, X-Com and not least the soldiers themselves would see any of the above options as suicide is enough of a reason for me to opt out of this kind of playthrough sadly, though of course I'd still be reading it :laugh:

'Points to UFO intro...'.

XComutil's enhanced high explosive is literally a low-cost blaster bomb.

I was rather thinking about ufo side wall opener like in TFTD

Stunning alien with heavy/auto cannon would be almost impossible, maybe mutons, and with luck snakeman. I don't know if aliens do catch stun damage from smoke.

Long time lurker (as a guest obv :P), just signed up after seeing this thread :laugh:

Id love to be part of a multiplayer run through of EU, however i dont have much experience with this game, but i play TFTD a lot ^^. I usually impose restrictions on my tftd games (such as only using blasta rifles, no pulsers, superhuman/ironman of course, defo no psi (apart from screening for good def)), mainly just to add extra challenge to the late game ( i mean its so easy to win with fully cannon armed/DPL and psionic troops).

I have dabbled a litle bit in EU and i know they play much the same.

So yeah if you need another body id love to join in :oh:

Cheers Lysear. If you're comfortable with TFTD then UFO will be no problem. Just be prepared to miss a few conveniences like the door opening and the drills.

How about we only use grenades Sarge! :P

I wasn't going for realism anyhow. Just a bit of fun, and it might even be a good learning experience for those that are unaccustomed to (or in some cases, loathe) the weapon set that's decided on. I mean, anyone can play a normal game, but can you stand proudly and proclaim you can bite your opponents legs off with both arms and a leg cut off and succeed at it? :oh:

But of course, it's still your decision.

I was rather thinking about ufo side wall opener like in TFTD

Stunning alien with heavy/auto cannon would be almost impossible, maybe mutons, and with luck snakeman. I don't know if aliens do catch stun damage from smoke.

Tempting but I think we can make do without it. The enemy ships in UFO tend to be much more solid compared to those in TFTD.

Stunning with the heavy/auto cannon is possible if you use HE rounds and displace the attack a little so that you only clip the enemy with the edge of the attack to soften the blow. But I guess this is leaving too much to randomness.

- NKF

Stunning with the heavy/auto cannon is possible if you use HE rounds and displace the attack a little so that you only clip the enemy with the edge of the attack to soften the blow. But I guess this is leaving too much to randomness.

I'd rather put faith in stun rod.

Sure, I'm up. At first I thought something like "all rockets" would be a bit prohibitive in terms of cost (we'll be replacing a lot of men and weapons), but then I figured, meh, whatever makes a good story. Don't much care which configuration we go with.

No problem with me also. I am quite looking forward myself how would that look that super aliens with their godlike technology was beaten by puny humans with their autocannons.

We could also go farther with weapon assignment. For example Rookies get only pistols (it may be laser pistols later on), then squaddies can have rifles and from sergeant you can pick heavy duty like auto cannon/rocket luncher.

And heavy laser will be allowed only for commander and colones (maybe captains too).

We could also go farther with weapon assignment. For example Rookies get only pistols (it may be laser pistols later on), then squaddies can have rifles and from sergeant you can pick heavy duty like auto cannon/rocket luncher.

And heavy laser will be allowed only for commander and colones (maybe captains too).

Now that sounds a little more reasonable actually... I know one of the original choices is 'pistol sized weapons and thrown explosives' but only just thinking about it now. Could work well with what Silencer just said. Standard overalls and pistols for rookies. Personal armour and laser pistols for any promoted troopers. Power armour and plasma pistols for hardened veterans. Maybe flying suit and heavy weapon for the commander (if anyone lives that long haha)

Depends on the scenario we decide to go with. If it's rockets, then we get rocket tanks. Cannons, then the cannon tank. The pistol/grenade scenario on the hand is versatile (actually the most versatile of the choices) but doesn't have a matching tank, in which case we go without one.

- NKF

Rockets only would be too brutal. While terror mission can be done, but enetring ufos with rocket luncher ?

I would rather go mixed rockets and heavy/autos, but limit rocket lunchers to 2 persons or 4 if in avenger and you plan to take more than 14 soldiers.

We can go also with troop limitations: Only 5 troops per transport (4 are operating agents) while the fifth acts like operation oficer.

We can go also with troop limitations: Only 5 troops per transport (4 are operating agents) while the fifth acts like operation oficer.

Do this on my tftd runs usualy take 5-6 troops and 2 tanks and lob grenades like they were going out of fashion :oh:,

Im liking the NKF special though :laugh: Pistols and nades sounds good, (gonna have to concentrate fire to bring down some of the tougher nuts with our pistolios)

I've tried each of these scenarios before, they're all possible and you can indeed manage with rockets in close quarter combat. Overall it's insane, but still possible. :laugh:

Can I get vote on what scenario we go with? Just so we get a fair and decisive decision, we'll do two sets of votes. Then pair up the winners of each set and vote one more time. We've got an uneven number so we'll have to have 3 choices in set 1.

Set 1

- Rocket Launcher only vs Heavy/Auto Cannons vs Heavy Laser

Set 2

- Thrown explosives vs Pistol sized weapons and thrown explosives.

I'll stay out of the voting, but those interested in participating please get your votes in. If all goes well we might even get started by the weekend!

- NKF

Quick post but after playing some eu today (dusted off my cd after an hours search), im struck with the feeling the maps are a bit on the small side? (dunno if its feasable/or wanted to be able to increase map sizes?).

Maybe im just too used to tftd :laugh:

p.s Breaching ufos with pistols and no way to open doors without walking through results in lots of dead dummies... Recruits ^^

(Guys, re-read the sets carefully. You're supposed to vote on one of the pair/trio in each 'set', and then NKF will pair those up. :laugh: )

EDIT:(woops I mispoke: Vote once for each set. Ergo, you'd have a vote for the set 1, and a vote for the set 2. Not just one vote total, two votes total. >.>)

I was mainly trying to pair off the selections like how teams are paired off in tournaments. Mainly to give everyone a fair chance to think over each option. But at this rate if we get any more pistol/grenade votes, then I may as well treat that as the majority! :oh:

I imagine everyone may have had some thoughts of trying out some of the others, perhaps I'll leave the option open later on down the line to re-vote on the weapon sets if everyone starts to think the game is getting stale? The aim is to have a bit of fun, after all. Would that be a fair compromise?

A couple of administrative matters to get out of the way:

I recommend all participants create a fresh copy of the game separate to the one you normally play. For those using the Dos edition, make sure you update to v1.4.

There is the matter of the difficulty bug with the dos edition. This can be fixed, see:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=G...lty_setting_bug

I can probably doctor up a fixed Geoscape.exe and upload a zip for those less inclined to fiddle with the bits and bytes. :laugh:

- NKF