Hobbes's Content

There have been 5 items by Hobbes (Search limited from 06-December 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#187400 UFOPaedia.org needs a new home

Posted by Hobbes on 21 May 2021 - 01:02 PM in UFOPaedia.org

Good news!

I talked back to NineX yesterday about this conversation and he informed me that he meanwhile got a sponsor willing to cover the costs for the next two years. So this issue seems to be solved.

View PostNKF, on 21 May 2021 - 04:52 AM, said:

I second the notion that it's more than acceptable to have something like a Patreon or similar donation system to help keep the server running. Just as long as you don't pull a Leo.... (no I'm never letting that one go)

I'm not familiar with the Leo reference.

Above all, what I wanted to avoid was the situation before NineX, where the guy that was hosting the site offered his help out of the blue, and then there were constant wiki break downs and all sorts of things happening because he was trying to make money of the traffic. That's why I decided to get back to the place where the wiki was born and ask rather than accepting the first person who stepped in. ;)

#187375 UFOPaedia.org needs a new home

Posted by Hobbes on 20 May 2021 - 04:50 PM in UFOPaedia.org

View PostPete, on 12 May 2021 - 04:37 PM, said:

Thanks Hobbes.

I checked out some of the latest updates for the MediaWiki software and seems as though it could take advantage of separate read/write databases that I have set up on Amazon for other projects which might help with the load.

Can you let me know if it's still been slow or has it been okay on NineX's server these past years?

NineX server has been running smoothly since the wiki was moved there, we were glad to have found him when the guy that was previously hosting started constantly having issues.

Also, is there any appetite in the community to help cover costs? I could set up a subscription on Gumtree easily enough, but I can't absorb the costs myself and it would need to be on its own AWS instance (probably along with StrategyCore) so as not to impact any other sites I manage. Historically it's not been overly fun paying for servers and sorting out issues for free with less and less free time (though I did have help from Thorondor and Olav) - sorry if that sounds a bit mercenary of me but otherwise it just all sits as low priority after paid work and I'd rather support it properly if I was to take it on again.

Put a link to donations (Gumtree/Patreon/etc.) on top of the main page and I'm sure that we would get some help. I've stopped adding content to the wiki a while ago but people have kept adding content for the newer games and we get quite a bit of traffic (which was one of the reasons why the site owner previous to NineX was reluctant to give back control).

You're not being a mercenary by asking for financial support - we all have jobs and the wiki takes time and resources.

#187183 UFOPaedia.org needs a new home

Posted by Hobbes on 11 May 2021 - 03:53 PM in UFOPaedia.org

View PostPete, on 04 May 2021 - 08:02 AM, said:

Hobbes - could you let me know if you know what the costs are these days?

The biggest problem I've found with MediaWiki (the software) in the past is that it's unnecessarily resource hungry and seems to play best on a dedicated server. This puts the cost at the right spec machine between $60-$120 per month, but usually at the higher end. Not sure how this tallies with NineX's costs though.

NineX was hosting it on its site (which has lasted for 19 years according to him) and the costs were:

"i lost sponsor that was covering 75% of my internet and electricity bills. and keeping small DC at basement of private house isn't cheap. 1G/1G fiber costs arround 200EUR/month + electricity for servers"

#186733 UFOPaedia.org needs a new home

Posted by Hobbes on 15 April 2021 - 03:25 PM in UFOPaedia.org

Hello all,

NineX, who is currently hosting the wiki on his server, has informed me that due to future rising costs he can't continue hosting it past December 2021.

Me and NineX will be looking for alternatives.

Since the UFOPaedia.org was born from this site (thanks to Pete who hosted it for years and years) I thought I'd ask if anyone is interested.

#185211 Maybe its time to add Xenonauts to Ufopaedia?

Posted by Hobbes on 19 January 2021 - 07:58 PM in UFOPaedia.org

I've recently added links to both Phoenix Point and Xenonauts on the wiki sidebar, under the designation 'Spiritual Successors'.

Phoenix Point has its own official wiki (and they based it on the UFOPaedia!).