magic9mushroom's Content

There have been 56 items by magic9mushroom (Search limited from 04-December 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#177771 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 14 December 2019 - 03:03 AM in Terror from the Deep

I want to fix up the articles on Ship Rescue Missions, Artefact Sites, Alien Colony Attack Missions and T'leth.

However, one thing missing that I don't know how to find is the alien deployment list for each of these.

Does somebody happen to have these lying around, or know how to get it out of the .exe?

#177774 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 14 December 2019 - 08:33 AM in Terror from the Deep

sp1ke, on 14 December 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

I suppose it's possible the tables are exactly the same as EU, just translated to the equivalent monster types? But no sorry I don't know.

None of these missions have equivalents in EU, except T'leth (EDIT: Alien Colony missions kinda-sorta match up to Alien Bases in UFO, but we know for sure the loadout's different for at least phase 2), and even there I'd want to confirm that parts 2 and 3 both have the same loadout as Cydonia part 2.

EDIT: If you happen to know how alien deployments are stored in the .EXE files, I could dig them out (though we'd then have to interpret which is which), but I can't seem to figure it out.

#177775 Alien Submarine craft weapon fire rate?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 14 December 2019 - 08:53 AM in Terror from the Deep

View Postsp1ke, on 14 December 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

What myths did your code dig clear up? (There's plenty!)

I edited the UFOpaedia with all of them at the time, but:

- UFO's Battleship gun has a power of 140, not 148
- UFO's Battleship has 3,000 HP on DOS (not 3,200)
- TFTD's Battleship has a gun power of 140, and the Dreadnought 120 - the opposite way around from UFO, which has 120 for the Terror Ship (equivalent to TFTD Battleship) and 140 for the Battleship (equivalent to TFTD Dreadnought).

(Of course, the Dreadnought is still a fiercer foe than the TFTD Battleship due to its huge health and greater range.)

#177797 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 17 December 2019 - 02:12 AM in Terror from the Deep

Okay, so with some help from NKF, I think I've worked out what's going on in Alien Colonies.

The topside is deployment roster 0d, which is a randomised roster consisting of, on Beginner/Superhuman, 2-3/4-5 terrorists type 1, 1-2/3-4 terrorists type 2, 7-12/9-14 soldiers, 3-5/4-6 squad leaders, 2-3 technicians, 2-3/3-4 medics, 2-3/4-5 navigators, and 1-2/2-3 commanders, set to race 4 (Mixed Crew).

This translates to 3-5/7-9 Tentaculats, 7-12/9-14 Tasoth Soldiers, 3-5/4-6 Tasoth Squad Leaders, 2-3 Aquatoid Soldiers, 2-3/3-4 Aquatoid Squad Leaders, and 3-5/6-8 Hallucinoids, for a total of 20-33/31-44 aliens. There's a snag, though; UNITPOS.DAT only has 80 records (of which it appears to only want to use 79), and on Superhuman the aliens are using 49-68 of them, so if you bring a Leviathan's worth of troops (26 records), the aliens will usually overflow UNITPOS.DAT and the last few Hallucinoids won't spawn (I got 4-6, with 5 the most likely by a long way, in >25 tests). With a Triton's worth they'll usually get the full roster.

Then on the underside, they have deployment roster 0f, which is basically UFO's Cydonia II roster consisting of 2/4 commanders, 1/3 navigators, 3/5 terrorists type 2, 3/5 technicians. 3/5 squad leaders, 3/5 soldiers, and 1/4 terrorists type 1, set to race 2 (Lobster Men). This is not randomised. It's also the roster used in T'leth part 2 and part 3 (except there it's set to race 5, the Lobbie + Aquatoid mixed crew with Deep Ones/Xarquid/Hallucinoids/Tentaculats).

#177798 "Tentaculat Trap"

Posted by magic9mushroom on 17 December 2019 - 10:07 AM in Terror from the Deep

View PostNickAragua, on 17 May 2004 - 02:24 AM, said:

Yeah, there's this one room in the second stage of the artefact sites - it's got a central elevator which leads up to the "double-ring" device. And, on the second level are little alcoves, each of them potentially holding a tentaculat. So, of course, what happend the first time I saw one of these rooms, I didn't think twice about sending in a pair of guys through one entrance -

"Hey, look, a tentaculat", the dudes shoot it down. I click end turn, and then the next turn, I see a pair of those guys come out of little alcoves and zombie my guys.

Over the years, I haven't had any particular luck with those rooms in any case, and I usually wind up losing one or two guys going in there. So, I was curious what people do to beat the "Tentaculat Trap"...
Send the Displacer in first, wait for all the Tentaculats to mob it, circle the room to finish off any that didn't take the bait, THEN send the soldiers in.

View PostNKF, on 11 September 2005 - 12:27 PM, said:

I haven't got TFTD or a reference image handy at the moment, but is there a clear line from the ground level up to the synonium device? Because if there is, I imagine destroying it would be simply a matter of arming a gas cannon with HE shells, stepping out, blasting the ceiling, then proceeding with a mad dash towards the exits.

Oh, DPLs are always the easier solution, but the gas cannon's the cheaper solution.

- NKF

View PostFullAuto, on 11 September 2005 - 04:11 PM, said:

Sadly not, the device is behind a pair of doors.  Easily sorted with DPLs obviously, or, alternatively, if you're extra cautious:
Prime a grenade and get on the lift.  Go up a level.  Drop grenade, go down a level.  Grenade will detonate, taking out the doors.  Prime another grenade, go back up, toss that inside, go back down.  Grenade blows, destroying the device.
The ceiling of the main chamber (where the massive ambush happens) is indeed the floor under the Synomium, so shooting up from ground floor will indeed get the Synomium (due to the bug where explosives fired into a ceiling phase through it). I'm not 100% sure the Gas Cannon does enough damage to pop the Synomium, though.

#177827 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 18 December 2019 - 07:40 AM in Terror from the Deep

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've cracked artefact sites.

The roster for both sections is a Mixed Crew Battleship (the terror mission ship) with 0-2 added to every rank that exists (i.e. not Commander because a Battleship doesn't have that). Using the Beginner/Superhuman notation again, that's 4-7/6-9 Tasoth Soldiers, 1-3/2-4 Tasoth Squad Leaders, 1-3 Aquatoid Soldiers, 1-3/2-4 Aquatoid Squad Leaders, 1-3 Hallucinoids and 2-10/6-14 Tentaculats, for a total of 10-29/18-37 aliens in each part.

If you're thinking "but m9m, that's an average of like 50 aliens; I've played my share of Artefact Sites and they weren't quite that bad"... well, you're catching on. The thing is, Artefact Sites have a small map (4x4 modules), and the designers forgot to put in enough spawn points for that ridiculous amount of aliens. From my empirical testing, the first map (the pyramids) only has 12-18 spawn points, and the second (the interior) 22-29, so a decent chunk of those aliens tend to fail to spawn (the order I've listed them in is the spawn order, so the Tentaculats are the most affected; on Superhuman the first map is quite likely to not have any at all).

#177876 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 21 December 2019 - 10:10 AM in Terror from the Deep

Space Voyager, on 18 December 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

Posted Image Seriously? Those were meant to be far worse but there weren't enough spawn points?

I'm glad, Tentaculats still give me the chill...
The second phase not so much; the central room has enough spawn points to usually accommodate on Beginner and to get most of them on Superhuman. But the first phase definitely overruns by quite a bit.

I'm analysing ship missions now; the first phase appears to be a simple Battleship crew, but I've found one apparent glitch. Specifically, on one of my trials on a Mixed Crew ship mission, UNITREF.DAT showed two Triscenes, a Bio-Drone, and then four more Triscenes (though the latter four didn't spawn due to lack of large spawn points). That's very odd and shouldn't happen (and it didn't on previous hits of that terror site via save-reload).

I can provide the save if anyone wants it, but I doubt it'll be very useful since whatever it is already happened.

(EDIT: Also I got my first-ever look at a Triscene, and boy those things are ugly.)

#177883 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 22 December 2019 - 02:22 AM in Terror from the Deep

Have confirmed the presence of Xarquid on a Mixed Crew ship terror mission, below decks.

#177888 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 23 December 2019 - 05:41 AM in Terror from the Deep

Okay, apparently the lower decks are also a Battleship crew.

It appears that sometimes, on both upper and lower decks, a Xarquid instead of a Calcinite is substituted for the Battleship's Navigator on a Mixed Crew ship mission. My suspicion is that this is a bug in the replacement algorithm for terrorists, because the unit types go:

0 = Hallucinoid
1 = Calcinite
2 = Xarquid
3 = Deep One
4 = Tentaculat
5 = Bio-Drone
6 = Triscene
7+ = armed aliens

The races' units are specified underwater, and there's then an algorithm that changes terrorists to the land ones if it's a land mission. Obviously, for Aquatoids, Gill Men and Lobster Men it just adds 1, but for Tasoths and Mixed Crew it'd have to add 2 sometimes to get a Triscene. The Navigator rank in a Mixed Crew is supposed to become a Hallucinoid, which would be replaced by a Calcinite with a "+1", but if that "+2" is erroneously activated it'd make a Xarquid.

#177889 Triscenes

Posted by magic9mushroom on 23 December 2019 - 09:02 AM in Terror from the Deep

Has anybody seen Triscenes on a Tasoth terror mission?

I know they show up on Mixed Crew terror missions, but I'm specifically asking about Tasoth terror missions.

I saved with a Tasoth shipping lane terror site on the map, then went there and reloaded ten times. Only Bio-Drones.

Then I saved before the month rollover and reloaded enough times to get ten pristine Tasoth shipping lane terror sites (that was grueling). Still only Bio-Drones.

#177898 Triscenes

Posted by magic9mushroom on 24 December 2019 - 01:08 AM in Terror from the Deep

Okay, I've done 10 Port attacks and 10 Island attacks, and got zilch for Triscenes, so I've gone ahead and altered the UFOpaedia accordingly.

#177908 Scheduled Floating Base Attack race selection

Posted by magic9mushroom on 25 December 2019 - 02:43 AM in Terror from the Deep

- I know retaliation in both games that's triggered by you shooting down a UFO/sub is always the same race as the UFO/sub shot down.
- I know "scheduled" retaliation in UFO (i.e., the retaliation at the start of the month that begins once you research The Martian Solution) is a flat 20% for each race.

I'm asking about "scheduled" retaliation (i.e. Floating Base Attack) in TFTD (after researching The Ultimate Threat). My first guess was that it was also 20% for each race (Aquatoid, Gill Man, Lobster Man, Tasoth, Mixed), but it's not. No Mixed Crews appeared in over 70 trials; that's P < 0.000001. I'm wondering if someone knows whether it actually uses the Alien Appearance Ratios table or something hardcoded like UFO (and if so, what).

(You can still get a Mixed Crew Floating Base Attack, but only by shooting down Mixed Crew subs.)

#177912 Scheduled Floating Base Attack race selection

Posted by magic9mushroom on 26 December 2019 - 04:41 AM in Terror from the Deep

Just did 100 tests in October. 26 Aquatoid, 21 Gill Man, 28 Lobster Man, 25 Tasoth. Could definitely be 25% each, could be some permutation of 30:30:20:20, definitely isn't the 10:10:60:20 in the Alien Appearance Ratios table.

#178218 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 27 January 2020 - 02:22 AM in UFOPaedia.org

The formatting won't display properly on article pages, and the Recent Changes list doesn't let me expand summarised sets of changes (i.e. if the same page is edited more than once in a day, it comes up with an "X changes" and a tooltip to expand, but the tooltip doesn't work). Also, I can't change the settings on the Recent Changes list (how many, how far back to go, etc.)

This is new today.

#178236 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 27 January 2020 - 11:05 PM in UFOPaedia.org

Okay, now it's not broken anymore.

The new interface for Recent Changes is very ugly, though.

#178237 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 28 January 2020 - 02:04 AM in UFOPaedia.org

Recent Changes is broken again. I think something's making the new-fangled interface at the top fail to load, which is in turn disabling the expansion of grouped changes.

#178242 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 28 January 2020 - 01:20 PM in UFOPaedia.org

NKF, on 28 January 2020 - 04:22 AM, said:

after a bit of play around with the filters
Which won't load for me.

EDIT: Booted it up in another browser and it still won't load.

#178259 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 29 January 2020 - 04:07 AM in UFOPaedia.org

I figured out how to manually use the old interface (which didn't make the expand button start working again), and I turned off group-by-page.

This is a bit of an issue, though, and I don't have this problem on Wikipedia, so I think there's something rotten in UFOpaedia's code somewhere.

#178576 Missile Evasion Matrix

Posted by magic9mushroom on 15 February 2020 - 09:02 AM in Apocalypse

I haven't seen it do anything. Does someone (e.g. Makus) know whether it actually does anything in vanilla Apoc?

#178646 Missile Evasion Matrix

Posted by magic9mushroom on 20 February 2020 - 01:39 AM in Apocalypse

View PostNKF, on 17 February 2020 - 04:56 AM, said:

I don't have the same level knowledge of this game as I do with the earlier two games, so cannot confirm anything. I will however offer the theory that if the evasion matrix has an effect, then its effects are small enough that they are barely perceptible.

Jamming effect likely has an influence on missile turning rates. How much, I don't know. But let's say it is percentage based. An evasion matrix would reduce a Janitor Missile's 24 to 19 while a cloaking device would reduce it to 4.8.

Assuming the jamming effect activates within a certain radius of the craft, the effect of a 24 dipping to 19 may not make a great deal of difference at such close range.

I know what the Cloaking Field does. It makes missiles targetting the craft not turn at all while the ship is visibly cloaked. They appear to turn at the normal rate while it's visible (the cloaking drops for a short time after a craft fires weapons).

My own tests (based on telling craft to shoot each other) haven't shown any effect from the Missile Evasion Matrix, but without code access I can't verify whether there's something beyond my sensitivity of measurement.

#179206 How does the game determine where to send Alien Terror missions?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 18 March 2020 - 09:32 AM in Enemy Unknown

Does somebody know what the weights are for TFTD? I know the zones which don't get Alien Surface Attacks are different (it's Antarctic/Arctic only, of the zones in ZONAL.DAT).

#179372 Are we totally screwed?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 26 March 2020 - 07:03 AM in The firing range - politics and religion

Thorondor, on 22 August 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

Even then, this too speaks poorly of the rest of us, seeing as majorities among us, in the supposedly developed world, had the questionable judgement of placing those who are now in the seats of power up there, choosing the very fates our children will have to endure.

Some of that is due to democratic backsliding. I wouldn't say all of it; Tony Abbott ran on a platform of undoing a carbon tax, so that one's on the Aussie public. But in a lot of the modern West, democracy is choosing which head of the hydra eats your leg; in the US, for instance, there are only two major parties (no hope of starting a challenger because of spoilers) and both are bought out by roughly the same interests on most issues, so unless an issue is one of the few on which the parties choose to distance themselves, the public has no power to decide it.

#179953 UFOpaedia down

Posted by magic9mushroom on 24 April 2020 - 07:06 AM in UFOPaedia.org

Can't get into the site. I'm getting "tunnel connection failed" - "might have moved".

#179959 UFOpaedia down

Posted by magic9mushroom on 24 April 2020 - 10:36 AM in UFOPaedia.org

View PostNKF, on 24 April 2020 - 08:29 AM, said:

Might be something to do with the host in general. Even the Openxcom forum is down.
Back now.

#180312 Accuracy formula

Posted by magic9mushroom on 14 May 2020 - 07:57 AM in Apocalypse

Does someone happen to know how X-Com: Apocalypse calculates accuracy? The game is notoriously unhelpful about telling you this, and while RWong's guide covers it it's clearly incorrect.

I tried asking on the OpenApoc IRC, but nobody appears to be there.