magic9mushroom's Content

There have been 56 items by magic9mushroom (Search limited from 27-November 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#177827 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 18 December 2019 - 07:40 AM in Terror from the Deep

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've cracked artefact sites.

The roster for both sections is a Mixed Crew Battleship (the terror mission ship) with 0-2 added to every rank that exists (i.e. not Commander because a Battleship doesn't have that). Using the Beginner/Superhuman notation again, that's 4-7/6-9 Tasoth Soldiers, 1-3/2-4 Tasoth Squad Leaders, 1-3 Aquatoid Soldiers, 1-3/2-4 Aquatoid Squad Leaders, 1-3 Hallucinoids and 2-10/6-14 Tentaculats, for a total of 10-29/18-37 aliens in each part.

If you're thinking "but m9m, that's an average of like 50 aliens; I've played my share of Artefact Sites and they weren't quite that bad"... well, you're catching on. The thing is, Artefact Sites have a small map (4x4 modules), and the designers forgot to put in enough spawn points for that ridiculous amount of aliens. From my empirical testing, the first map (the pyramids) only has 12-18 spawn points, and the second (the interior) 22-29, so a decent chunk of those aliens tend to fail to spawn (the order I've listed them in is the spawn order, so the Tentaculats are the most affected; on Superhuman the first map is quite likely to not have any at all).

#177798 "Tentaculat Trap"

Posted by magic9mushroom on 17 December 2019 - 10:07 AM in Terror from the Deep

View PostNickAragua, on 17 May 2004 - 02:24 AM, said:

Yeah, there's this one room in the second stage of the artefact sites - it's got a central elevator which leads up to the "double-ring" device. And, on the second level are little alcoves, each of them potentially holding a tentaculat. So, of course, what happend the first time I saw one of these rooms, I didn't think twice about sending in a pair of guys through one entrance -

"Hey, look, a tentaculat", the dudes shoot it down. I click end turn, and then the next turn, I see a pair of those guys come out of little alcoves and zombie my guys.

Over the years, I haven't had any particular luck with those rooms in any case, and I usually wind up losing one or two guys going in there. So, I was curious what people do to beat the "Tentaculat Trap"...
Send the Displacer in first, wait for all the Tentaculats to mob it, circle the room to finish off any that didn't take the bait, THEN send the soldiers in.

View PostNKF, on 11 September 2005 - 12:27 PM, said:

I haven't got TFTD or a reference image handy at the moment, but is there a clear line from the ground level up to the synonium device? Because if there is, I imagine destroying it would be simply a matter of arming a gas cannon with HE shells, stepping out, blasting the ceiling, then proceeding with a mad dash towards the exits.

Oh, DPLs are always the easier solution, but the gas cannon's the cheaper solution.

- NKF

View PostFullAuto, on 11 September 2005 - 04:11 PM, said:

Sadly not, the device is behind a pair of doors.  Easily sorted with DPLs obviously, or, alternatively, if you're extra cautious:
Prime a grenade and get on the lift.  Go up a level.  Drop grenade, go down a level.  Grenade will detonate, taking out the doors.  Prime another grenade, go back up, toss that inside, go back down.  Grenade blows, destroying the device.
The ceiling of the main chamber (where the massive ambush happens) is indeed the floor under the Synomium, so shooting up from ground floor will indeed get the Synomium (due to the bug where explosives fired into a ceiling phase through it). I'm not 100% sure the Gas Cannon does enough damage to pop the Synomium, though.

#177797 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 17 December 2019 - 02:12 AM in Terror from the Deep

Okay, so with some help from NKF, I think I've worked out what's going on in Alien Colonies.

The topside is deployment roster 0d, which is a randomised roster consisting of, on Beginner/Superhuman, 2-3/4-5 terrorists type 1, 1-2/3-4 terrorists type 2, 7-12/9-14 soldiers, 3-5/4-6 squad leaders, 2-3 technicians, 2-3/3-4 medics, 2-3/4-5 navigators, and 1-2/2-3 commanders, set to race 4 (Mixed Crew).

This translates to 3-5/7-9 Tentaculats, 7-12/9-14 Tasoth Soldiers, 3-5/4-6 Tasoth Squad Leaders, 2-3 Aquatoid Soldiers, 2-3/3-4 Aquatoid Squad Leaders, and 3-5/6-8 Hallucinoids, for a total of 20-33/31-44 aliens. There's a snag, though; UNITPOS.DAT only has 80 records (of which it appears to only want to use 79), and on Superhuman the aliens are using 49-68 of them, so if you bring a Leviathan's worth of troops (26 records), the aliens will usually overflow UNITPOS.DAT and the last few Hallucinoids won't spawn (I got 4-6, with 5 the most likely by a long way, in >25 tests). With a Triton's worth they'll usually get the full roster.

Then on the underside, they have deployment roster 0f, which is basically UFO's Cydonia II roster consisting of 2/4 commanders, 1/3 navigators, 3/5 terrorists type 2, 3/5 technicians. 3/5 squad leaders, 3/5 soldiers, and 1/4 terrorists type 1, set to race 2 (Lobster Men). This is not randomised. It's also the roster used in T'leth part 2 and part 3 (except there it's set to race 5, the Lobbie + Aquatoid mixed crew with Deep Ones/Xarquid/Hallucinoids/Tentaculats).

#177775 Alien Submarine craft weapon fire rate?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 14 December 2019 - 08:53 AM in Terror from the Deep

View Postsp1ke, on 14 December 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

What myths did your code dig clear up? (There's plenty!)

I edited the UFOpaedia with all of them at the time, but:

- UFO's Battleship gun has a power of 140, not 148
- UFO's Battleship has 3,000 HP on DOS (not 3,200)
- TFTD's Battleship has a gun power of 140, and the Dreadnought 120 - the opposite way around from UFO, which has 120 for the Terror Ship (equivalent to TFTD Battleship) and 140 for the Battleship (equivalent to TFTD Dreadnought).

(Of course, the Dreadnought is still a fiercer foe than the TFTD Battleship due to its huge health and greater range.)

#177774 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 14 December 2019 - 08:33 AM in Terror from the Deep

View Postsp1ke, on 14 December 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

I suppose it's possible the tables are exactly the same as EU, just translated to the equivalent monster types? But no sorry I don't know.

None of these missions have equivalents in EU, except T'leth (EDIT: Alien Colony missions kinda-sorta match up to Alien Bases in UFO, but we know for sure the loadout's different for at least phase 2), and even there I'd want to confirm that parts 2 and 3 both have the same loadout as Cydonia part 2.

EDIT: If you happen to know how alien deployments are stored in the .EXE files, I could dig them out (though we'd then have to interpret which is which), but I can't seem to figure it out.

#177771 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 14 December 2019 - 03:03 AM in Terror from the Deep

I want to fix up the articles on Ship Rescue Missions, Artefact Sites, Alien Colony Attack Missions and T'leth.

However, one thing missing that I don't know how to find is the alien deployment list for each of these.

Does somebody happen to have these lying around, or know how to get it out of the .exe?