magic9mushroom's Content

There have been 56 items by magic9mushroom (Search limited from 04-December 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#181562 Mushroom Cloud (mod)

Posted by magic9mushroom on 09 July 2020 - 08:33 AM in Apocalypse

View Postmakus, on 09 July 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

Hey M9M hows your mod going?
btw want to mention that skin36 doing something like Apoc.D but better  and its WIP

More or less done, although there are a couple of things I still need to alpha-test (alien tech levels might need to be slowed down given the somewhat-increased amount of UFOs, and I need to make sure the Battleship and Mothership loadout fixes actually work). Once I've done those and done my own playthrough test it'll be beta-test time.

#181377 Apoc's spawn limit/bug

Posted by magic9mushroom on 29 June 2020 - 12:55 PM in Apocalypse

This is in relation to the infamous "why don't the Psimorph in Battleships and the Micronoids in Battleships and Motherships spawn" issue.

I have some testing data, but while I can grasp the general shape of it ("aliens are in squads, some aliens can go together in squads while others can't, and there's a maximum of 6 squads and 6 aliens per squad"), the exact details don't make a lot of sense to me.

So, I figured I'd post some of the data I have and see if anyone else can make sense of this, because I sure can't.

If a line starts off with "+", then whatever's after the + is in addition to the previous line.

3 Multi 1 Anthro 1 Skele 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
+ 1 Egg = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
3 Multi 1 Anthro 1 Skele 6 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
   + 1 Spit = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
4 Multi 1 Anthro 1 Skele 6 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
   + 1 Spit = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
4 Multi 1 Anthro 1 Skele 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
3 Multi 6 Anthro 6 Skele 6 Pop 6 Mega 6 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorphs appear
3 Multi 7 Anthro 1 Skele 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
7 Anthro 1 Skele 5 Spit 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
7 Anthro 1 Skele 3 Spit 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
7 Anthro 1 Skele 6 Spit 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
7 Anthro 1 Skele 1 Spit 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
7 Anthro 1 Skele 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
7 Anthro 1 Skele 1 Spit 6 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
6 Anthro 1 Skele 1 Spit 6 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
5 Anthro 1 Skele 1 Spit 6 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
7 Anthro 1 Skele 1 Spit 4 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
6 Anthro 1 Skele 1 Spit 5 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro  = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
24 Anthro 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro   = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
20 Multi 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro    = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
21 Multi 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro    = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
22 Multi 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro    = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
24 Multi 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro    = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
25 Multi 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro    = no squads for Psimorph but Megaspawn appears
20 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
21 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears
24 Pop 1 Mega 1 Psi 1 Micro = no squads for Micronoid but Psimorph appears

#181359 The Apocalypse mission

Posted by magic9mushroom on 27 June 2020 - 01:50 PM in Apocalypse

After all these years, I finally know that it's real and I finally know why it's so elusive.

The Apocalypse mission, in which all UFOs swarm into Mega-Primus and start tearing down the city, is triggered when you destroy the Control Chamber and cut off the stream of UFOs. It's the aliens' last act of spite.

The reason it's elusive is because usually you've wiped out the UFO fleet by then, leaving the aliens nothing to execute it with. It'll only occur if you start doing the Alien Dimension missions while there are still UFOs flying around to fight you.

#180629 Feedback on StrategyCore

Posted by magic9mushroom on 29 May 2020 - 10:46 AM in Your Views

Hooray, I can post threads again!

#180628 Fire rate

Posted by magic9mushroom on 29 May 2020 - 10:45 AM in Apocalypse

In TB mode, given that a turn lasts 11 seconds, the given rate of fire of a weapon is attained in Auto mode.

However, in RT mode, the given rate of fire of a weapon is attained in Snap mode i.e. all weapons fire twice as fast.

Anyone else noticed this? Am I going nuts? (OK, yes, I'm going nuts. But more specifically am I imagining this?)

#180345 Feedback on StrategyCore

Posted by magic9mushroom on 15 May 2020 - 09:09 AM in Your Views

I can't post new threads. It says there's a problem with the database ("driver error") and that an admin may need to fix it.

#180312 Accuracy formula

Posted by magic9mushroom on 14 May 2020 - 07:57 AM in Apocalypse

Does someone happen to know how X-Com: Apocalypse calculates accuracy? The game is notoriously unhelpful about telling you this, and while RWong's guide covers it it's clearly incorrect.

I tried asking on the OpenApoc IRC, but nobody appears to be there.

#179959 UFOpaedia down

Posted by magic9mushroom on 24 April 2020 - 10:36 AM in UFOPaedia.org

View PostNKF, on 24 April 2020 - 08:29 AM, said:

Might be something to do with the host in general. Even the Openxcom forum is down.
Back now.

#179953 UFOpaedia down

Posted by magic9mushroom on 24 April 2020 - 07:06 AM in UFOPaedia.org

Can't get into the site. I'm getting "tunnel connection failed" - "might have moved".

#179372 Are we totally screwed?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 26 March 2020 - 07:03 AM in The firing range - politics and religion

Thorondor, on 22 August 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

Even then, this too speaks poorly of the rest of us, seeing as majorities among us, in the supposedly developed world, had the questionable judgement of placing those who are now in the seats of power up there, choosing the very fates our children will have to endure.

Some of that is due to democratic backsliding. I wouldn't say all of it; Tony Abbott ran on a platform of undoing a carbon tax, so that one's on the Aussie public. But in a lot of the modern West, democracy is choosing which head of the hydra eats your leg; in the US, for instance, there are only two major parties (no hope of starting a challenger because of spoilers) and both are bought out by roughly the same interests on most issues, so unless an issue is one of the few on which the parties choose to distance themselves, the public has no power to decide it.

#179206 How does the game determine where to send Alien Terror missions?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 18 March 2020 - 09:32 AM in Enemy Unknown

Does somebody know what the weights are for TFTD? I know the zones which don't get Alien Surface Attacks are different (it's Antarctic/Arctic only, of the zones in ZONAL.DAT).

#178646 Missile Evasion Matrix

Posted by magic9mushroom on 20 February 2020 - 01:39 AM in Apocalypse

View PostNKF, on 17 February 2020 - 04:56 AM, said:

I don't have the same level knowledge of this game as I do with the earlier two games, so cannot confirm anything. I will however offer the theory that if the evasion matrix has an effect, then its effects are small enough that they are barely perceptible.

Jamming effect likely has an influence on missile turning rates. How much, I don't know. But let's say it is percentage based. An evasion matrix would reduce a Janitor Missile's 24 to 19 while a cloaking device would reduce it to 4.8.

Assuming the jamming effect activates within a certain radius of the craft, the effect of a 24 dipping to 19 may not make a great deal of difference at such close range.

I know what the Cloaking Field does. It makes missiles targetting the craft not turn at all while the ship is visibly cloaked. They appear to turn at the normal rate while it's visible (the cloaking drops for a short time after a craft fires weapons).

My own tests (based on telling craft to shoot each other) haven't shown any effect from the Missile Evasion Matrix, but without code access I can't verify whether there's something beyond my sensitivity of measurement.

#178576 Missile Evasion Matrix

Posted by magic9mushroom on 15 February 2020 - 09:02 AM in Apocalypse

I haven't seen it do anything. Does someone (e.g. Makus) know whether it actually does anything in vanilla Apoc?

#178259 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 29 January 2020 - 04:07 AM in UFOPaedia.org

I figured out how to manually use the old interface (which didn't make the expand button start working again), and I turned off group-by-page.

This is a bit of an issue, though, and I don't have this problem on Wikipedia, so I think there's something rotten in UFOpaedia's code somewhere.

#178242 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 28 January 2020 - 01:20 PM in UFOPaedia.org

NKF, on 28 January 2020 - 04:22 AM, said:

after a bit of play around with the filters
Which won't load for me.

EDIT: Booted it up in another browser and it still won't load.

#178237 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 28 January 2020 - 02:04 AM in UFOPaedia.org

Recent Changes is broken again. I think something's making the new-fangled interface at the top fail to load, which is in turn disabling the expansion of grouped changes.

#178236 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 27 January 2020 - 11:05 PM in UFOPaedia.org

Okay, now it's not broken anymore.

The new interface for Recent Changes is very ugly, though.

#178218 Something's wrong.

Posted by magic9mushroom on 27 January 2020 - 02:22 AM in UFOPaedia.org

The formatting won't display properly on article pages, and the Recent Changes list doesn't let me expand summarised sets of changes (i.e. if the same page is edited more than once in a day, it comes up with an "X changes" and a tooltip to expand, but the tooltip doesn't work). Also, I can't change the settings on the Recent Changes list (how many, how far back to go, etc.)

This is new today.

#177912 Scheduled Floating Base Attack race selection

Posted by magic9mushroom on 26 December 2019 - 04:41 AM in Terror from the Deep

Just did 100 tests in October. 26 Aquatoid, 21 Gill Man, 28 Lobster Man, 25 Tasoth. Could definitely be 25% each, could be some permutation of 30:30:20:20, definitely isn't the 10:10:60:20 in the Alien Appearance Ratios table.

#177908 Scheduled Floating Base Attack race selection

Posted by magic9mushroom on 25 December 2019 - 02:43 AM in Terror from the Deep

- I know retaliation in both games that's triggered by you shooting down a UFO/sub is always the same race as the UFO/sub shot down.
- I know "scheduled" retaliation in UFO (i.e., the retaliation at the start of the month that begins once you research The Martian Solution) is a flat 20% for each race.

I'm asking about "scheduled" retaliation (i.e. Floating Base Attack) in TFTD (after researching The Ultimate Threat). My first guess was that it was also 20% for each race (Aquatoid, Gill Man, Lobster Man, Tasoth, Mixed), but it's not. No Mixed Crews appeared in over 70 trials; that's P < 0.000001. I'm wondering if someone knows whether it actually uses the Alien Appearance Ratios table or something hardcoded like UFO (and if so, what).

(You can still get a Mixed Crew Floating Base Attack, but only by shooting down Mixed Crew subs.)

#177898 Triscenes

Posted by magic9mushroom on 24 December 2019 - 01:08 AM in Terror from the Deep

Okay, I've done 10 Port attacks and 10 Island attacks, and got zilch for Triscenes, so I've gone ahead and altered the UFOpaedia accordingly.

#177889 Triscenes

Posted by magic9mushroom on 23 December 2019 - 09:02 AM in Terror from the Deep

Has anybody seen Triscenes on a Tasoth terror mission?

I know they show up on Mixed Crew terror missions, but I'm specifically asking about Tasoth terror missions.

I saved with a Tasoth shipping lane terror site on the map, then went there and reloaded ten times. Only Bio-Drones.

Then I saved before the month rollover and reloaded enough times to get ten pristine Tasoth shipping lane terror sites (that was grueling). Still only Bio-Drones.

#177888 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 23 December 2019 - 05:41 AM in Terror from the Deep

Okay, apparently the lower decks are also a Battleship crew.

It appears that sometimes, on both upper and lower decks, a Xarquid instead of a Calcinite is substituted for the Battleship's Navigator on a Mixed Crew ship mission. My suspicion is that this is a bug in the replacement algorithm for terrorists, because the unit types go:

0 = Hallucinoid
1 = Calcinite
2 = Xarquid
3 = Deep One
4 = Tentaculat
5 = Bio-Drone
6 = Triscene
7+ = armed aliens

The races' units are specified underwater, and there's then an algorithm that changes terrorists to the land ones if it's a land mission. Obviously, for Aquatoids, Gill Men and Lobster Men it just adds 1, but for Tasoths and Mixed Crew it'd have to add 2 sometimes to get a Triscene. The Navigator rank in a Mixed Crew is supposed to become a Hallucinoid, which would be replaced by a Calcinite with a "+1", but if that "+2" is erroneously activated it'd make a Xarquid.

#177883 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 22 December 2019 - 02:22 AM in Terror from the Deep

Have confirmed the presence of Xarquid on a Mixed Crew ship terror mission, below decks.

#177876 Alien deployments?

Posted by magic9mushroom on 21 December 2019 - 10:10 AM in Terror from the Deep

Space Voyager, on 18 December 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

Posted Image Seriously? Those were meant to be far worse but there weren't enough spawn points?

I'm glad, Tentaculats still give me the chill...
The second phase not so much; the central room has enough spawn points to usually accommodate on Beginner and to get most of them on Superhuman. But the first phase definitely overruns by quite a bit.

I'm analysing ship missions now; the first phase appears to be a simple Battleship crew, but I've found one apparent glitch. Specifically, on one of my trials on a Mixed Crew ship mission, UNITREF.DAT showed two Triscenes, a Bio-Drone, and then four more Triscenes (though the latter four didn't spawn due to lack of large spawn points). That's very odd and shouldn't happen (and it didn't on previous hits of that terror site via save-reload).

I can provide the save if anyone wants it, but I doubt it'll be very useful since whatever it is already happened.

(EDIT: Also I got my first-ever look at a Triscene, and boy those things are ugly.)