laclongquan's Content

There have been 33 items by laclongquan (Search limited from 05-April 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#159969 UFOET rerun, this time with Grayfiend 3.5

Posted by laclongquan on 21 March 2017 - 02:26 PM in Discussion

I am not saying it's easy or anything. I am still right after research Live Chaser/alien, so it's beginning. I have no issue with gameplay.

The theme though, it's more horror than tactical combat (aka action), so I might give up at that. I am weak at horror environment.

The slippery feeling of having nothing to care about also enhance that effect.

Replay Aftershock at hardest difficulty is an option. As I dont feel XCOM Long War has that much draw.

We shall have to see.

#159942 UFOET rerun, this time with Grayfiend 3.5

Posted by laclongquan on 20 March 2017 - 02:42 PM in Discussion

Pass about ten battle, I think. And confirm a few things about UFO ET I suspected in the past

- The game is not about tactical so much as horror. You never know when some alien monstrosity gonna throw a green gas grenade at your feet and knock you down. Even if you purposeful build up scout unit with AP, it's still no sure tactic to prevent that shit. And I am pretty weak against horror.

- The setting of a strange, unknown alien world make sure that players dont care about setting. No hook at all. No familiar names like Martian locations in UFO Afterlight. No fixed characters. No quest. No events. No even the different regions in the world. The RPG elements are very light. This is a bad thing.

I am by no means sure that I can continue much more.

#159848 UFOET rerun, this time with Grayfiend 3.5

Posted by laclongquan on 16 March 2017 - 02:53 PM in Discussion

I note that the appearance of new class of alien ship might be research related. I put in the research for alien scout ship and two Fighter appear. I doubt laser is the cause.

In that case it might be good idea to postpone alien ship until we got good troops and good guns.

#159832 UFOET rerun, this time with Grayfiend 3.5

Posted by laclongquan on 15 March 2017 - 01:30 PM in Discussion

Other than the snafu of 3.5-3.9 update and 3.93, there's no bug.

NOTE: ufo-scene.com is dead for a while now and internet archive doesnt save its content. No dedicated saved data collection for this game. Too Sad.

#159782 UFOET rerun, this time with Grayfiend 3.5

Posted by laclongquan on 14 March 2017 - 03:36 PM in Discussion

Hard difficulty.

1st thing 1st, I check my roster of soldiers. They need to have average stat of 40 at least. I kick out half the current roster and hire 6 more. Need several restart to have it enough like that because man, several run I got about 1 decent in the whole roster.
In Hire section, set everything to 35, then check each stat at 45. Got them gems that way.
Rename them a bit Role-Personal name.
I got a few scout with high AGI and high reaction. 3 personal shield each.
Sniper with high Shooting
Flanker with good reaction. They are the main shooters and grenadiers.

1st battle the shields burn out to the last but in return noone die. This prove benefit of the expense because they used to die like flies on me.

#159781 UFOET rerun, this time with Grayfiend 3.5

Posted by laclongquan on 14 March 2017 - 01:42 PM in Discussion

I tried installing with 3.93 but the 3.50-3.93 mod report file missing so can not proceed. Only the 3.50 file run normally.

Fisk that! I will run with 3.5 then.

Wish me luck!

#158174 some questions

Posted by laclongquan on 30 December 2016 - 08:00 AM in UFO: Afterlight

Send your robot against martians to get them controlled (event) and start on research approriate tech. With that you can train Major Driving.

Major driving is a waste of time. It's better invested in getting planetology or other things. I got a minor driving and it's enough.

Well, later on  driving has effect on very late game weapon. But. As I said. Waste of time.

#158173 Game just wont work. Help if possible please.

Posted by laclongquan on 30 December 2016 - 07:55 AM in UFO: Afterlight

I will offer my 2 cent

1. Window10 seem to cause trouble with beta graphic driver. downgrading the windows 10 beta video driver to the windows 8.1 version.
2. Uninstall then Reinstall OpenAL